Atlassian is looking for a Senior Data Engineer to join our GTM Data Engineering team and build world-class data solutions and applications that powers crucial business decisions throughout the organization. We are looking for an open minded, structured thinker who is passionate about building systems at scale. You will enable a world-class engineering practice, drive the approach with which we use data, develop backend systems and data models to serve the needs of insights, and play an active role in making Atlassian data driven. You love thinking about the ways the business can consume this data and then figuring out how to build it.
On a typical day, you may be consulted on the information architecture of our data lake, and help design and/or optimize the event collection infrastructure. You will be working with different stakeholders to understand the business reporting needs and architect/build the data models, ETL processes and data applications that can help answer those needs. You have got industry experience working with large datasets and are interested in reporting platforms and data visualization. Constantly striving to optimize the data pipelines/infrastructure with the goal of providing data with quality and trust. As the data domain expert, you will be partnering with our technology teams, analytical teams, and data scientists across various initiatives
You۳۹;ll own a problem end-to-end, so those skills will come in handy not just to collect, extract, and clean the data, but also to understand the systems that generated it, and automate your analyses and reporting. On an on-going basis, you۳۹;ll be responsible for improving the data by adding new sources, coding business rules, and producing new metrics that support the business. Requirements will be vague. Iterations will be rapid. You will need to be nimble and take smart risks.
More about you
As a senior data engineer, you will have the opportunity to apply your strong technical experience on building analytics data models that supports a broad range of analytical requirements across the company. You will work with other teams to continually evolve solutions as business processes and the requirements change. You enjoy working in a fast paced environment and you are able to take vague requirements and transform them into solid solutions. You are motivated by solving challenging problems, where creativity is as crucial as your ability to write code.
On your first day, we۳۹;ll expect you to have
- ۸+ years professional experience as a data engineer or in a similar role
- Strong programming skills (some combination of Python, and Node.js preferred)
- Experience building platforms, micro services, and REST APIs
- Experience writing GraphQL, structuring data, and data storage practices
- Experience working on Amazon Web Services (in particular using S۳, SQS and the like)It۳۹;s preferred, but not technically required, that you have:• Experience building self-service tooling and platforms
- Experience building data pipelines using Spark and/or Hive
- Experience working in a technical environment with the following technologies: AWS data services (Redshift, Athena, EMR) or similar, Apache projects (Spark, Flink, Hive, Kafka)
- You’re well versed in modern software development practices (Agile, TDD, CICD) and how they can apply to data engineering
- Experience writing and tuning SQL, Experience in data warehouse modeling
- A willingness to accept failure, learn and try again
- An open mind to try solutions that may seem crazy at first
- A BS in Computer Science or equivalent experience
We’d be super excited if you have:
- Experience working on Apache Airflow (or similar tools) for orchestrating data pipelines
- Experience building MDMs and other enterprise data integration solutions
- Deployed ML models and know when best to use them
- Experience in developing, publishing and maintaining advanced reporting, analytics and dashboards using Tableau
- Above all else, as a senior data engineer you will be leading the development process, driving architectural decisions, and incorporating business and technology strategy. You will be earning the trust of other developers in the team and then coaching and influencing them into the right behaviors to build the ultimate analytical data model and pipelines.