Do you want to build a career
that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique
opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development
challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and
knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five
institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity
and promoting sustainable development. With ۱۸۹ member countries and more than
۱۲۰ offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners,
investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology
to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more
information, visit www.worldbank.org
COUNTRY AND PROGRAM CONTEXT
Afghanistan is one of the poorest countries in the world with a GDP per capita of about USD۷۰۰ and significant human challenges. While the main issue Afghanistan is facing is the on-going conflict, fiscal and economic challenges are very pronounced and represent an important source of fragility for the country.
The World Bank Group’s engagement in Afghanistan is significant. The World Bank provides roughly USD ۹۰۰ million in grants to the government each year through the Afghanistan Reconstruction Trust Fund (ARTF), one of the largest multi-donor trust funds managed by the World Bank. In addition, IDA assistance amounts to USD ۳۰۰ million annually. Operations are fully decentralized and are largely managed by Task Team Leaders based either in the Kabul office (with about ۱۰۰ staff) or in Dubai (about ۱۵ staff). For more information visit our website: http://www.worldbank.org/af.
CMU and Country Office Composition: The Operations Officer would be part of the Country Management Unit (CMU) of the Kabul Country Office. The CMU is led by the Country Director who is based in Kabul, together with an Operations Manager responsible for overall management of the office and operations. They are supported by two International Senior Operations officers in Kabul responsible for managing the ARTF and two local Operations Officers. The CMU is also supported by a team in Washington DC consisting of a Country Program Coordinator and Country Program Assistant.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Operations Officer (OO) will work with the Afghanistan Country Management Unit in the Kabul office, reporting to the Operations Manager, and will work closely with the Practice/Sector/Engagement Leaders and with the other CMU (Senior) Operations Officers as needed. She/he will provide support related to portfolio monitoring and quality, the management of the ARTF, briefings and support for government officials and visiting senior management, and other day-to-day CMU activities.
Specific duties will include:
Carry out responsibilities for a variety of operational tasks (e.g. participating as a full member of a multi-disciplinary team and undertaking straightforward assignments of project preparation, appraisal and supervision).
• Provide inputs to prepare diverse operational products/outputs (e.g. sector and country briefings, background reports, case studies, portfolio performance reviews, etc.).
• Contribute to the biweekly Afghanistan Operations Meeting, including drafting the agenda, minutes documenting key decisions and following up on agreed actions
• Provide support to teams preparing new projects and during implementation
• Support the Operations Manager and the CMU to undertake portfolio reviews to continually address implementation issues, realism of project ratings, and trends in the performance of the portfolio over time
• Undertake other tasks on reporting of project and portfolio performance, participate in the preparation and presentation of CMU-wide reports to Senior Management and/or external partners, review periodic reports such as ISRs, Aide Memoires, etc. for CMU clearance
• Ensure timely troubleshooting of any operational gaps, procedural inconsistencies and communicational errors.
• Review and process operational documents, coordinating across practices and project components for quality and technical content and alignment with CMU engagement with government.
• Work with clients and the project teams to address implementation issues, and ensure high quality and results on the ground
• Respond to ad hoc information requests from internal and external parties.
• Contribute to the external partnership development work of the CMU and Task Teams;
Note: Work implies frequent interaction with the following:
(i) counterparts in Government and in a variety of international and other partner organization, including at senior levels, academia etc.;
(ii) counterparts within and across operational units, CMU, Global Practices;
(iii) Bank managers up to Director or equivalent.
• Master’s degree in a relevant field/discipline (Economics, Engineering, Business Studies, Political Science, Law, Finance, International Relations, or similar field relevant to the Bank’s mission).
• Minimum of ۵ years of relevant professional and operational experience in practices/sectors such as (but not limited to) Sustainable Development, Social Inclusion, and/or Energy and Transport, Private Sector, Education, Health, Social Protection, Finance, Agriculture.
• Demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills in English. Ability to craft messages and edit work to produce well-written communications is required.
• Established inter-personal skills with proven ability to work cooperatively within a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary country team and with other groups throughout the Bank, development partners; and governmental institutions.
• Organizational skills and ability to deal rapidly, and in a timely and accurate manner, with shifting priorities and work pressure with minimum supervisory requirements;
• Solid analytical and quantitative skills that can be applied to gather data and generate knowledge.
• Drive for Results - Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
• Attention to detail and thorough follow-through and a self-starting attitude.
• Familiarity with World Bank operational procedures and processing would be desirable; or an ability to quickly learn relevant procedures and practices.